The Moment we decided to adopt again!

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

The moment we began waiting for our new daughter!

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Growing, Loving and Listening to your heart!






So the little girl that we met nearly 2 months ago is far from the little girl that runs around the Hecky House giggling, singing and doing what little girls do best, have fun! I looked back at all the pictures and video of our first days together in China and I am just taken back by how much she has changed. First off, she is loving her longer locks of hair. This must be the longest she has been able to keep it, and every day she touches her hair to see if has grown from the day before. She just says she wants to grow it long, long, long! So needless to say, we may have a Rapunzel on our hands! "Mariah, Mariah let down your long black hair!" Mariah is definitely picking up more English and the language barrier is pretty much obsolete. I am still patiently waiting for the honeymoon phase to end, but I am starting to get the impression that she is just a happy, go with the flow, super sweet girl! Which is totally OK by me! When you adopt an older child, you read book after book about the honeymoon phase, the night terrors, the hoarding of food, the physical aggression, the emotional turmoil and we have not seen one and I mean one instance of any of these traits. There is also the "Gotta be perfect Syndrome" or they will send me back, but I don't feel that at all with Mariah either. I think she is just comfortable in her skin and knows this is where she belongs. Don't get me wrong, there are the sibling confrontations that she takes a full participation to and a few "No's" to mommy or daddy, but nothing that a few minutes and a little intervention doesn't clear up and then it is smiling Mariah once again.

I still have to admit that I am just amazed that the Lord chose me! Chose me to be her mommy. I can't even fathom how blessed I am! I could talk about adoption forever to anyone who will listen and if there is anyone out there even thinking that adoption is in their hearts, let me just say that it is so worth the sacrifices, the trials, the unknowns. The joy of watching your family grow closer and the love that builds mountains literally fills one's soul with the knowledge of "Why am I here?, what is my place in this world?, and what is my calling or purpose." It has for me, something that I struggled with for years. Whether the Lord chooses Chad and I again to adopt once more or if I volunteer with different adoption organizations, or who knows maybe someday when my kids are grown, involving and giving my time overseas at the foot of the orphanages. It's not by my choosing, its where I will be lead, and I will always be listening for what I am to do next! But for now, the Lord says rest, (well sorta) and enjoy my four blessings, watch them grow and smile every day of my life!

Enjoy the pictures of Mariah and Mya. They are really becoming best buddies!

5 Write a Comment:

Regina said...

Mary,
I am so glad that Mariah is adjusting so well.
The hair thing is funny. Amilynn is the same way. I thought that her short hair was so cute. And really looked good on her, but she immediately wanted it to grow out. She never wants to cut it. LOL
Blessings to you and your family!!

Lisa said...

Beautiful...on many levels. Thank you for sharing that.

Lisa
P.S. Your family is lovely!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

What a lovely post. I can feel your gratitude, love and smile from here. It is so joyful to hear about the miracle of adoption and each unique story. Mariah... I love touching my hair too, so soft and fun is hair. ;0)

=0) Sara

Lori said...

Mary- I had to laugh at the 'hair' thing. Mikenna was just yesterday bending her head backward and letting her hair tickle her shoulders. She liked the feeling of it on her neck and shoulders. We miss you all and are really looking forward to seeing you all in August! Much love, Lori

Sarah said...

what a lovely post. thank you for sharing your heart with us!